The restoration of the 1905 Charles E. Moody School breathed new life into this vacant building, which stood empty for nearly four decades, while maintaining its historic character.
Located on the historic Good Will-Hinckley campus, the new academic building is home to the Maine Academy of Natural Sciences, the first licensed charter school in Maine.
The renovations carefully preserved the building and modernized the space to accommodate today’s educational needs. The original 16,150-SF building was completely renovated to include 12 state-of-the-art classrooms, labs and support spaces.
A 7,200-SF expansion added another 5 classrooms and lab space, creating a total of 23,580 SF. The highly energy-efficient building, Maine’s first net-positive energy academic building, uses 30% less energy than a conventional building.