The restoration of the Merrill Memorial Library preserved the historic character of the 1904-1905 Colonial Revival building, while an addition created a new covered entryway and vestibule into the library.
The renovations included converting the third floor into an 80-seat meeting room, refurbishing the interior oak woodwork, restoring the Reading Room’s arch, and creating a quiet study area. The original 1905 wood windows and the 1980s aluminum windows were restored, and the building was brought up to code compliance with minor impact to the historic fabric of the building. The exterior work included selective masonry restoration, landscaping, and new roof.
Energy efficiency measures reduced the building’s energy usage by 30%.
The project was recognized with two awards in 2016 including the Greater Portland Landmarks Preservation Award and Maine Preservation Award.